VINTAGE INSPIRED SPRING MAKEUP | VIDEO | And more on beauty...

 
 Spring is such an ideal time to experiment with new looks. Everything in spring always seems happier and more optimistic, and the advent of summer drawing nearer just adds to all of that excitement. 

So what better time than spring to finally get round to making a makeup video and post? 

 NOTE: The purpose of this post is to elaborate on all the things I didn't elaborate on in the video.



Makeup is something I have loved for as long as I can remember. 

When I was very, very little, I used to sneak into my mother's bedroom and play with her makeup. She's never been that into makeup, so she has only ever really had basics, and very little of the stuff, - but always the best brands! My mother has always valued quality, over quantity.  I remember how I'd get a thrill from putting it all on, and then I'd quickly wash it all off before she found out I'd been playing with her makeup. She did let me wear a really tiny bit of blusher and lip gloss on saturday's when went shopping at the West End though. (I must have been about five or six at the time). That's something I always remember with a smile. 

I also remember being five years old and begging my mum to buy herself a red lipstick, but she just wasn't interested in the stuff. My love for red lipstick however, has never died. It's timeless and sexy, and if it's worn right, it can also be elegant. Sadly, in my mother's generation, red lipstick was only worn by one type of girl, and if you weren't that type of girl, and you didn't want to be mistaken for one, then you steered well clear of the stuff. (I think you catch my drift).


The look I created in this first makeup video doesn't quite involve a red lipstick, but future ones certainly will. 

It's a full routine, but it only lasts ten minutes which isn't very long at all. This routine is different to my everyday one, since I'm not wearing any blush, and I don't tend to wear bright lip colours, but it's still very me. (I almost never wear eyeshadow anymore).


As for my hair, I got a trim the day before, and asked the hairdresser to curl the ends. He used a straightening iron to curl the ends in sections. It's not a hairstyle I do at home myself, so I can't really explain much about it, but I am definitely going to practice what he did, as I feel the hair made all the difference in achieving this vintage inspired look.

 
I felt very glam with this look, and let's face it, 
who doesn't want to feel glamorous all the time? 

It may be superficial, but there is something about feeling pretty that makes everyone feel good about themselves from the inside out. Don't you agree? Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling myself pretty or beautiful or anything like that. Nor am I saying that you have to look good on the outside in order to feel good on the inside. All I mean is, that when we are true to ourselves and our style, and we see a reflection we like in the mirror, all of the ugliness in society that is there to make us feel ugly or inadequate based on our looks, suddenly becomes completely annulled. Surely you can all relate to those days when you look in the mirror and you really like how you've put yourself together, and you just feel almost magical all day long. Or am I just really strange...?

ANYWAY, HERE IS THE VIDEO:


THESE ARE THE PRODUCTS I USED


Cosmetics

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (Oil Free)

Catrice Cosemetics Allround Concealer

L'oréal Paris Nude Magique BB Cream

BareMinerals i.d. Powder Foundation

L'Oréal Paris Mega Volume Miss Manga Mascara

L'Oréal Paris Volume Million Lashes Excess Mascara

Constance Carrol Liquid Eyeliner

Rose & Co Apothecary Rose Petal Salve

Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow (to fill in brows) - Mahogany 10

Essence lipliner - 10 Femme Fatale

Estée Lauder Signature Lipstick - 31 Spiced Coral

Dark brown pencil (Sadly not included in the photograph)

Brushes

BareMinerals i.d. BareEscentuals Full Flawless Face Brush

EcoTools concealer brush

Spooly brush by Eloiven 

Bobbi Brown Eye Definer Brush

A beauty blender (sadly not included in photograph)


SKIN


Clear skin is essential for a flawless finish. And by clear skin, I mean no spots, no blemishes, no scars, no facial hair (except well-kept eyebrows), and no discoloration. We're not all born with flawlessly clear skin though, myself included, so makeup can help create the illusion of that. However, it's always best to try and take the best care possible of our skin first. I am quite OCD when it comes to my personal hygiene in general, but my face is the one part that probably gets the most TLC from me on a daily basis. I only use products on my face that are designed for my skin type. I try to eat foods I know are good for my skin, and I am very very anal about keeping my skin as clean as I can. (In fact, I might even do a a video and post on how I keep my acne under control...)
I have acne prone, combination skin, with very slight acne scaring and even slighter discoloration. I also don't like feeling a heavy foundation on my skin, so this particular combination of products is perfect for me because it's lightweight and gives decent coverage. And also great, not all of it is expensive. For example, I bought that concealer pallet from Primor for under 3 euros, and it works brilliantly. I will say though, that when it comes to foundation, it's always wise to buy slightly pricier more upmarket products.

EYES


Our eyes say so much about us, it's almost unreal. Beautiful eyes always make for a beautiful face, (especially if combined with clear skin). Now despite popular belief, you don't have to have eyes that are big, or blue or green, for your eyes to be beautiful. Beauty really has nothing to do with size or colour, and that doesn't only apply to the body as a whole, but to body parts as well. For this look however, big almond eyes with full long lashes were a bit of an essential. So I used eyeliner to enhance the almond shape and add fullness to my lashes from the root, after adding length and fullness to the lashes, by mixing these two mascaras. 

My holy grail mascara used to be the L'oréal double extension lash mascara, but that got discontinued (and I'm still heart broken. Thank you L'Oréal). 

(You can find out more about that particular mascara by clicking here)

EYEBROWS


I only recently starting to fill in my eyebrows. My eyebrows are different shapes, one is set higher than the other, one is longer than the other, and they both have 'gaps', so I find handling them tricky. Some days I am truly chuffed with what I manage to do with them. Other days I end up with eyebrows that Crusty the Crown would be proud to have. It's a real hit and miss area, which I hope to improve on. - Hence why I didn't go into too much detail in the video. I'm currently using an eye shadow by Bobbi Brown to fill in my brows. I can't say I think the colour is a true match to my natural eyebrow colour, but it's not awful. It's also not bad to learn the technique with. And being honest, my eyebrows do look better filled... I am really eager to try Anastasia, but I'm not even sure if it's available in Madrid...

For now, what I generally do is, fill them in using a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow, with a Bobbi Brown Eye definer brush... (Below is the back bit)


And then I brush through with my spooly brush (below), which I find gives a more blended and 'natural' finish to my eyebrows...


And then last of all I will pluck any stray hairs that do not fall within the area that I want. I get my eyebrows threaded as often as I can, but my hair grows back really, really, quickly, so after a few days I find I have about the same about of 'eyebrow stubble' most other women seem to get after about a week. The hair on my head also grows really quickly, so I'm not going to moan too much about it. (Although I do wish we could make a selection about where our hair grows quickly and where it should grow slowly, if at all, lol). So yeah, the tweezers are just for those few rebels that grow back faster than I'd like, spoiling the overall shape.


And there I was, saying I didn't have anything to say about eyebrows... Hmm!

LIPS


I know this lipstick looks kind of red in these photos, but it's not. It's not red at all. It's a beautiful coral colour. I love coral. It's such a pretty colour, and can be worked in so many ways. As a complimentary colour, as a 'pop' colour, it can be bright, it can be discreet, but it's always pretty, feminine, and elegant.

CHEEKS

 I bought this Rose Petal Salve as a pack of three. I initially bought this to use as a lip balm, but I didn't like it on my lips. I do however, like how it works on my skin, so I decided to use this as a highlight on my cheeks instead, and I was pretty happy with the results it gave.


I am hoping you will like the video.
I'm open to accepting requests, tips and advice.

I am also trying to find new video editing software, so if you have any suggestions, please send those my way. 

BODY IMAGE

Finally, I got round to making the body image video. The problem? The motion and the audio are not in synch. I have spent hours trying to edit it and fixing the issue, but it's beyond me, so I think I'm just going to re-make it from scratch. Sorry guys! 

And finally, remember...

'MAKEUP IS NOT A TOOL TO MAKE AN UGLY 'THING' BEAUTIFUL. IT'S MEANT TO MAGNIFY THE BEAUTY THAT ALREADY EXISTS'
(Author Unknown)

YOU, ARE, BEAUTIFUL.

Until next time, Much love,  and God bless!

x o x   




Post a Comment

Popular Posts