Faith and Health

Yesterday was a very emotional day for me.

A few of my students did their confirmation yesterday evening and I was so moved by the entire ceremony that I just sat there in tears. 

I am currently preparing to do my own confirmation, and I have another year of study to go for it, but I am so eager to get it done that another year seems like an eternity. As I sat there in mass yesterday evening, I just kept thinking, 'This time next year, that will be me.' and it made me so happy. *smiles* 

And here is what I wore yesterday for mass.


If you are wondering about my faith, I am Roman Catholic. I was baptised in the Catholic church as a new born and I did my first holy communion in the Roman Catholic Church as a young child. However, getting confirmed was something I chose not to do when I was teenager because I had a lot of questions and doubts about the teachings of the church and the bible. I had been to a roman catholic primary school, but then I went to a secular comprehensive secondary school. We were taught religion at my secondary school, but it was religion studied in general terms, and objectively. So we learnt a bit about Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddism, etc,  looking at the general history or each faith, and the main beliefs and practices. We were basically taught about religion as "actions" some people do in the name of their "faith", but not as "faith" per se. A high percentage of the students at that school were practising muslims, hence why I know so much about Islam and get very hurt and offended when I hear people bad mouthing all muslims, based on the actions and beliefs of a few loud-mouthed extremists. You know what I mean? 

Still, I believed in God the whole time, but getting confirmed was something I always had pending in the back of my mind, but I didn't feel like I was ready to go there, and didn't know if I would ever feel like I was ready to go there. I guess the idea of getting confirmed scared me in some way. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I go through life on a rampant rampage of cruel and evil deeds, nor do I believe that you have to be religious in order to be a good person. I simply felt that getting confirmed meant believing and agreeing with absolutely everything and never having doubts or questions about your faith. I now know this is not the case, and that having questions and doubts can reinforce your faith, and that the answers will come to you if you search for them. I still have many questions, but my faith is strong, and there is no doubt in my heart that God is very real and that Jesus came to save us from our sins. I am very honest about my questions when I have catechism class, which are not always very politically correct questions to be asking someone who believes so fervently in the Catholic faith; but it's something my catechist seems to love about me, because apparently my honesty is commendable, and my questions are very deep and intelligent, - eventhough my questions are not always easy to answer. Still, I understand things better now than I used to. I am also extremely grateful for all those years that I was a believer, but not practising, because I got to see the real world which means I don't live in a bubble, and I don't see the world in clear cut terms of good vs evil. Maybe that was just God's plan for me. After all, as they say, The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I know and understand that not absolutely everything we experience in this life is necessarily a consecuence of choices we make, and that sin is something to be "judged" within the context of ones circumstances. There is big difference between sinning for pleasure and sinning out of necessity. For example, it's not the same thing to steal from someone out of jealousy, than it is to steal out of a desperate need for something. Ultimately, we are all sinners, and God gave us free will, so who am I to tell anyone how to live their life, or to judge anyone else? That is why I believe strongly in the idea behind the expression "Live and Let Live".

I could go on, but I won't. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)


I chose this dress because it is very feminine and I was in a girly mood yestuerday morning. I also chose my accessories based on my mood and the confirmations. 

***
White top (undre dress) - Lefties
Dress - C&A (Madrid)
Shoes - Amichi Leather Collection
Angel Necklace and Charm bracelet - Brigitte Bijou
***


The angel neklace and charm bracelet are both new, but my bag is actually old, - just very rarely ever used. I re-discovered it when swapping bedrooms. 

In fact, I came across a lot of things I rarely wear/use and have taken it upon myself to make use of those clothes/accessories, or simply give them away.


On a slightly less chirpy note, I went to see an endocrinologist recently. Not about my weight, but about something else, and I wanted to get my hormone levels reviewed. He didn't comment on my weight, and neither did I. However, he did order a series a blood tests, including one called Dexamethasone Suppression Test

I did a little research on what that is for, and it turns out it's a test to diagnose 
which from what I understand, is caused by too much Cortisol, which is usually caused a benign tumour either on the pituitary gland in the brain, or somewhere else in the body and it causes obesity. Now, I don't believe I have either illness, but I found it curious that the doctor would order such a test when it's supposed to be a rare condition, and also because although I am large, I'm not that large and my weight is stable. I'm due to see my endocrinologist again in a few weeks time, so I will keep you posted on the test results, but I think everything in regards to weight related illnesses will come back normal, simply because my weight is pretty stable most of the time. Therefore, if my test results reveal some weight related health issue, I think it will be interesting. 

Either way, I am happy to have discovered another serious and legitimate illness that can cause obesity in order to educate people who believe that the only reason some people are fat, is because they have an unhealthy diet and/or lifestyle.

 So please, 
next time you see a fat person walking around, 
don't be so quick to judge and assume they are 
some lazy, undisciplined over eater. That person might just have a serious illness which makes them overweight!

Until next time, 
embrace your personal style and love your body the way  it is!!

Much luv,

Rebequita Rose

xox

5 comments

Popular Posts