Up close and personal with a P.H.A.T girl : Episode Two

Dear readers!!
Hello and welcome to the second instalment of "Up close and personal with a P.H.A.T. girl". This time I have interviewed Alex from "Alex´s Wonderland." In this interview we talk about her blogging inspiration, where she shops and why, when and how she has pushed her own personal fashion boundries as a plus size girl and how she keeps her skin clear - amongst other things. Here goes...!!!

Name, age, Location: Alexandra Hoover, 21, Bloomington, IN (USA)

What made you start blogging and what do consider to be the pros and cons of blogging?
I actually started blogging because my dad had a blog bordering more along the political lines of things… and mine kind of just evolved to where it is now as I saw various blogs and features. A major pro is all of the wonderful people out there who you get to know, and who are always offering support or inspiration for all kinds of things! I think a con is really just that there are some people who take things too seriously, or are judgmental of others. If you don’t like something, you don’t have to read it!

Have you posted anything on your blog that has made you push your personal fashion limits, and if so, where do you think you found the inspiration and bravery to go ahead with the post anyway?
Well, recently I did an outfit post in shorts… which was definitely a first for me, just because I rarely ever wear them and never thought I looked all that good in them. But I’ve seen so many “summer challenges” of girls trying to do new things with their clothing choices, so I figured why not, and I did it anyways. You have to push some boundaries to make any progress, in all aspects of life!

Which are your top three fashion no-no´s in general - Regardless of size!
You know, a few months ago I maybe would have gone with “no horizontal stripes”, or “Don’t mix patterns”, but if the blogging world has taught me anything it’s that different things work for different people, and if there’s something YOU don’t think works, I’m sure somewhere else someone is pulling it off and looking amazing doing so!

Have you always been a plus size girl? If so, have your feelings and views about your body image changed with time?
Pretty much. I think overtime I’ve just become more comfortable and confident with who I am, and stopped trying to limit myself to wearing certain types of things.

If you could shop anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Some place where my money supply was endless! I’m really not that picky of a shopper at all, I just love shopping… for fun of course. It’s not so fun when there’s something specific you’re trying to find!

Who is your biggest famous plus size style icon, and why?
You know, I’ve never really followed ANYONE as a style icon to be completely honest. One time one of my friends told me that they liked how I didn’t really have a specific “look” and just kind of wore all sorts of different styles of clothing. I think I’ve always been like this- just kind of wearing whatever I like or feel good in at the time. I think because of this, just people I see (or bloggers I follow) on a daily basis have the most influence on new things that I try.
What would you say to someone who is plus sized and has no confidence in themselves completely based on their body image?
First of all- don’t feel like you have to hide yourself in baggy clothing! I know this is a comforting thing, and it does take some time to get used to… but this only just makes you look bigger than you are a lot of the time. There are so many figure flattering things out there for every body type, and you just have to experiment to see what works for you! Don’t limit yourself to societal standards of everything, because like I said before, one thing may not work for someone else but may be perfect for you!

Are you a particularly loyal customer to any specific brands/shops? If so, why? If not, why not?
Right now, as my readers could probably tell you from outfit posts, a large part of my wardrobe consists of Old Navy, Target, and Forever 21. I think this is because I’m on the infamous “college budget”… and I just love that these three all have clothes that are cheap enough that it’s not a big deal to buy more or get rid of them when they’re had their use, and they are all pretty good about following along with, or mimicking, a lot of different trends in the industry. Old Navy is GREAT for getting more simple pieces to really build outfits around.

You have really pretty eyes, and in your photos you seem to have pretty clear skin! What is your usual skin routine, and do you have any tips/secrets about skin care that you´d like to share with the rest of the world?
Aww… thank you!!! I personally have “normal” skin… meaning not really oily but also not too dry, and my main focus on skin care is MOISTURIZING! I really only wash once a day when I shower with St. Ives’ Exfoliating Apricot Scrub, and then I use bareVitamins Skin Rev-er Upper, and Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (I don’t like the more oily feeling of the lotion). One thing I religiously do in the winter when skin tends to be more dry is apply a very thin layer of Vaseline on my face before bed. I have always used Vaseline or Aquaphor as a chapstick/lip gloss in one, but once on an episode of Real Housewives of Atlanta (Guilty pleasure) one of their grandmother’s said the secret to good skin was Vaseline… and to me it just makes sense that it would help keep up the elasticity of the face and hopefully prevent wrinkles later in life! I don’t think you would want to do this, however, if you have a more oily skin type

Are there any items of clothing or looks you have yet steered clear from based on your size? What, why, and do you think you will ever experiment with it/them?
Not anything in particular, really. I kind of just go towards what I like, try it out, and if it works great, but if it doesn’t, I just don’t go back to it. I’ve really been trying lately to push the envelope and try things that I might not have thought twice about before. (The shorts, for example)
Which direction would you like your blog to take in future?
For now I’m just kind of going with the flow, doing outfit posts when I have the time to get pictures, some crafting posts as I get the time for that, etc. I also have a recipe blog (http://alexscollegecuisine.blogspot.com/) that I try to update when I can. I’m still just trying to have fun with it and see where it takes me!

And now, a few random questions just for fun!!


Red roses or white roses?
Red, if I’m going for roses. I generally prefer other types of flowers over them, though!

Diamonds or Pearls?
Both, please! :-) I think if I HAD to pick I’d probably go for diamonds.

Heels or flats?
LOVE my heels… but I sometimes have a hard time finding enough places to wear them, because I’m not usually willing to torture my feet with their (on average- from my closet anyways) 4-5 inches if I’m going to be standing/walking around a lot.
Classic or Urban?
A combination of the two.

A childs laughter or your favourite song?
Probably a child’s laughter. Just because I imagine that I could listen to adorable little kids giggle all day long, but listening to a song over and over usually wears it down.
 
- - - - -
 
And that´s it folks! A big thank you to Alex for agreeing to do this interview with me! We hope you have all enjoyed reading this interview!

If you are a fashion blogger who would like to be featured in my "Up Close and Personal with a P.H.A.T. girl" series, e-mail me at RebequitaRose@gmail.com, with a link to your blog and I will get back to you!
Lots of Luv and best wishes, as always,
Rebequita Rose
Mwuah!
xoxoxoxox
2 comments

Popular Posts